Monday, April 19, 2010

What not to Say

When I began this blog, I did it with the intention to help others. This post if for the friends and family of families who have lost a little one. If you are someone who has lost a little a child due to stillbirth, please add additions in the comments sections. This is not a complete list, I'm sure I will add to it with time.

I am a self described know-it-all, I'm sure there is more than one (o.k. closer to a million) occasion that I have offered unsolicited advice to my friends and family on every topic from finances to dating. But since losing Jackson, I have become much softer with my tongue, letting comments go to my brain-then mouth. The filter method is working well for me.

In the past 6.5 months I have had so much support from so many people, it was amazing who steps up in a time of need and who really sucks.

This blog was prompted by a recent run in with a former co-worker. While her intentions were good, her comments were so hurtful. In the case of a loss, less is definitely more when it comes to words. I understand the awkwardness of not knowing what to say. I also greatly appreciate the fact that people acknowledge Jackson. Even if what they say hurts my broken heart. It's kind of a double edge sword for me.

So here are a list of few things not to say (in my opinion of course!)-
  • God needed another angel- This one is going to be hard for me to write on right now, because as a women of faith, I am still angry with God. But I will tell you as a women who held her baby in my arms, I didn't want to give god an angel. I know that Jackson is in heaven and I am slowing coming to terms with having a special angel, but I wasn't in it for making angels.
  • God only takes children if there is something wrong-I held a perfectly precious baby with 10 fingers and 10 toes and doctors can't give me a medical explanations for the stillbirth.
  • God only gives us what he knows we can handle- If you are listening God- my plate is full.
  • It wasn't meant to be- Who are we to decide that?
  • You can try again- There will always be a place in our hearts for Jackson and no other child will ever replace that. We will be thankful for more children and we will love them with all our hearts, but they will never be meant to replace J.T.
  • Aren't you glad it didn't happened after he was born- Nope. I had the most wonderful 9.5 months getting to know him in my womb. I would have given anything for just one moment to hear him cry. I do not take anything away from parents that have lost a child after birth, and I can't imagine how hard that would be. I just wish I would have got to bring my baby home with me.
  • A lot of people that I know have lost babies- Yes, unfortunately many women have lost children. I am so sorry for mothers that have early term miscarriages. It's not better or worse to have a child that is born stillborn, it's just different. I know that we had a baby that we were able to love for 9.5 months, much longer than some parents get to experience. But to go until two days before his due day with all the hopes and expectations of bringing that baby home to be part of your life is unfathomable. The first things we did as parents was plan Jackson's funeral. That's not suppose to be the circle of life. I am thankful for the pictures we were able to take and the memories we will cherish for a lifetime.

That's all for today- I promise to start posting more pictures. We have been working so hard in the yard the last few weeks. Our trees we planted last fall are all blooming beautifully. The tree we planted for Jackson was the last one to bloom. I feel like it is God reminding us again to be patient and good things will come.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    This was so beautifully put... Thank you for sharing. I could so relate to so everything that you said... still here 18 mos ago today, people still say things like that. At least now those things don't affect me quite the way they did right after Samuel died... but I still don't like them at all. A lot of healing has come... but I know we won't be fully healed till we are holding those precious boys in Heaven.

    Lisa, I will be praying for you... The pictures of Andrew on the sidebar are just precious. He was so blessed to have such a loving mommy who took such great care of Him for those 9 1/2 mos. I know how much you miss him...

    Praying for you!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been 2.5 months since we lost our first son, Athan, at 35 weeks. I have found the most difficult thing people say is...nothing. So many were afraid to approach us, afraid of saying the wrong thing, or not knowing what to say at all. I understood the hesitation, but it was incredibly isolating.

    Eventually word would get to us how deeply someone had been moved by the loss of our son, how they had seen the Lord working - all the things that were so encouraging to know his life was not wasted, even though so short. "Why didn't they tell us?" I would think inside. I needed to hear those things so much!

    My favorites were the people who just honestly said, "I don't know what to say!" Then I could help! Let me tell you about him, how we lost him, let me tell you how we chose his name, let me show you his pictures (I'm still a proud mom, darnit!), let me tell you what I'm afraid of, the crazy thoughts that go through my head that I know aren't true, but that I fight with anyway, let me tell you how the Lord has carried us, and how He IS all that He promised, or I could not be alive right now.

    I didn't need people to know what to say. But I needed them to not be afraid of me - hit the ground running whenever I got within 10 ft. I hated the feeling of awkwardness that seemed to follow me. I needed to be encouraged: my son's life was noticed, it meant something, and God is still faithful through the sorrow.

    ReplyDelete